footprints in my life...

detailing one day in the life of Anne

My Photo
Name:

"In Christ alone, I place my trust and find my glory in the power of the cross. And every victory, let it be said of me. My source of strength, my source of hope is Christ alone." --- M. English

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Closing Time

I came to the office today. It's an Easter Sunday and the office was empty, altho there're still a lot of commotion on the basement because the production people were working. Not me... The office was peaceful, quiet and dark. For once it looks as though the office was a promising place once again. But of course in reality it isn't so.

Enough is enough.

It's just so sad that I only lasted about 6 weeks in that place. In a way this place had granted my PR status. But is my health the price to pay for it? Lately I'm hanging by a thread and it's getting very thin everyday. I can even take it physically. It's not about whether I like the job or not, but it's eating me alive. The pay was not up to par to what we have to do. The word exploit... as Ai Pei said... rang loud and clear. Most the people who worked in the office are Filipinos, Chinese, Malaysians or Indians... There's only a few Singaporeans, and considering this is a Singaporean company... errr yeah.

People who work in this office want to be able to stay in Singapore. And the price to pay is really high. No wonder not a lot of Singaporeans want to do this. I came in with 3 other girls. One Filipino, 2 Singaporeans and myself. Guess what? The 2 Singaporeans already gone from the office now. One lasted for a couple of weeks, the other one, a bit short of one month. The Filipino doesn't really have a choice but to stay and be a trooper or she'll be out of the country. I got one more Singaporean girl who join us about 2 weeks. And last Saturday she also talked to me about quitting. I'm staying in the office also because I felt bad for my colleagues. Tho I don't think I'm much of a help either.

I am counting my blessing that God is giving me the luxury to get my PR status granted so fast.

Now... my struggle would be whether I'm willing to loose all my commisions if the company decided to cheat me out of my rights. To some of you it may not be a lot of money. But to me, it's my sweat, blood and tears, no matter how small is that amount. My colleague said the company did not pay commision every month, but whenever they feel like it. And you better keep tab on what you've earned or they'll cheat you silly. And from what I hear, they only pay about once every 3 months. Am I willing to risk not getting it? Money is important, but is it worth my health, my sanity, my soul? I don't have a lot of time too.

My grandma told me that I'm not a pauper that I have to slave for that amount of money. But on the other hand, it's what I've earned. I've tasted my first taste of greed. Money. Will I be a slave to money? I know that in a way God will repay me back of everything I've earned and everything that I've done. But the devil is attacking my conscience by telling me that I didn't do enough to deserve God's attention.

I can only claim everything to my God as I read Psalm 35 today...

As I walked home from the office, I got teary eyed. I felt defeated, although in a way I know that God have taken care of me, by having my colleague backed me up. But now, I felt bad for my colleague. This battle is not my own. God only knows.

I SMSed my aunt in Portland... wishing her Happy Birthday. I wish I can say happier things to her than "I quit..." news. I really missed having her around...

Happy easter...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give thanks in all circumstances. God knows your situation better than we do, He will provide you anything if you trust in Him. May His peace and grace be upon you. Amen...:)

10:25 PM  
Blogger Jon Tan said...

From my experience, companies usually pays out commission only when they get paid by their clients, and normally the clients pay within 60-90 Days, but it will take another month for your accounts to process the commission... so be prepared to wait that long...

Anyway, time to make some decisions soon...

12:58 AM  
Blogger God's Grace said...

Edmond, thank you for your support bro... I was just being sentimental that day... It's another chapter closed in my life and I thought... altho I'm not too fond of it, it's still sad.

Jon, I realize that they would only pay my commission once they've been paid themselves. But it's just the things that I heard from my colleagues worries me. But no matter. I wasn't in dire need that I should be enslaved by money. I already made my mind, don't worry.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home