footprints in my life...

detailing one day in the life of Anne

My Photo
Name:

"In Christ alone, I place my trust and find my glory in the power of the cross. And every victory, let it be said of me. My source of strength, my source of hope is Christ alone." --- M. English

Thursday, January 24, 2013

About Getting Older and Being A Parent

Yesterday, my husband and I were in conversation about his decade younger colleagues. They’re inferior to him in term of corporate governance; however, they’re brazenly behaved condescendingly toward my husband. They may be university graduates, but where my husband lacks in paper credentials and vocabulary, his working experience would have done justice to why he is where he is.

As much as I told my husband to brush it off, I can’t help myself to ruminate. Singaporeans may boast that English is their main (mostly) mean of communication. But there are times and again I wonder if some truly grasp the real meaning of the word before using it. Some locals love to use the word ‘Revert’ in their corporate correspondence rather than the plain ‘Reply’ or ‘Return’ for example. As if by using big words, they sounded cultured and lofty. Unknowingly, they’re discrediting themselves. Under the corrective authority of my ex-boss who’s British, I learned that using big words and jargon without knowing the true usage and meaning could mean the difference between eloquence and foolishness. I myself am not immune from lack of understanding of English. It is my second language. Although I grew up in States for a good part of my life, I don't have the authority to claim proficiency (as probably proven with this post). Albeit my brief stint as a 'chief' editor...

Anyway, this twenty-something executive, imagining himself as an auteur, was unhappy when my husband corrected his choice of words for company’s collateral. True that his choice of words may not be wrong, but context wise it may not suit. He argued with my husband and practically called him too square for not accepting his “metaphor”. Well, metaphor or not, you have to think about who’s your reader. When Singlish is your first language, just stick with what you know, before you hurt yourself. He continued his diatribe and ungraciously rambled on just because he wanted to have the last word. That’s another thing that irked me. Once, my husband had an intern who graduated from a known UK university with an English degree. But when my husband corrected him of a few mistakes and wrong choice of words, this guy graciously accepted. Meanwhile, this current executive, graduated from local university, lack the mannerism of an educated gentleman. Even if the choice of word is the best in the world, when the superior already given the reason why not to use it, one have to weigh in that suggestion. So I told my husband to be the better person and dust it off. It’s like history repeated itself, when I have the déjà vu of hearing my elders said such thing and us as the younger ones ignoring it. But we’re talking about a couple decades of age difference between us. And now this… Gosh! We’re not even 40!

About Parenting…

I never think myself as an overachiever. So now, although I have my set of rules, in terms of parenting I think I’m one of those who applied laissez faire to my children’s upbringing. So in some days I feel a bit perturbed when I read about my peers’ children’s accomplishments thru the social media platform. It’s kind of sad to think that, now, I can’t even hinder myself from this peer pressure, because although I’m secluded in my own room, I’m even more vulnerable to other exposures through internet.

When I was little, my mother only knew that I was not a ‘prodigy’ through an actual gatherings and school results. I could feel her disappointments whenever she started comparing me to other children. I was upset, because I feel it’s not my fault that I’m underperformed. To me, I live the best way I could, and I still think I am. Perhaps if I was not being patronized too much growing up, I would have the guts to take charge in this world. Que sera sera...

Now I realized that in a sense, perhaps all these disappointments of my lack of achievements could have stemmed from my parents own lack of effort in raising me up. My peers at the time were taking piano lessons, language lessons and were being force fed with iron clad discipline regime. I couldn’t even last my organ lesson more than three months, my Mandarin lesson almost nonexistent, among other things. Growing up, I dabbled on German, Spanish, Japanese and Korean. Through it all; I only manage to blurt a sentence or two. My concentration is too sporadic to only focus on ‘one’ ability. I am easily bored and yet I’m greedy with information. I feel like a walking Wikipedia: only know a portion of something (that may not be completely correct) and share them when asked. Worse, I’m way lack in references.

Now I sat in front of the computer, blanking out on what to write, and yet I want to say a lot. I have at least two complete novels in my head, but I can only typed chapters of word vomit unto my Word doc. I feel envious at others’ accomplishments and their children's, and yet I’m wasting time typing this. I have peers who are so active with their social media and still have time to work and play with their children. What’s wrong with me?

As if my voice is heard, after I finished with my ramble above, a couple hours later, I stumble upon this Yahoo! article: Facebook Lets You Down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home