footprints in my life...

detailing one day in the life of Anne

My Photo
Name:

"In Christ alone, I place my trust and find my glory in the power of the cross. And every victory, let it be said of me. My source of strength, my source of hope is Christ alone." --- M. English

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A day of melting pot of cultures

I was invited to a CNY (to some of you who don't know, it stands for Chinese New Year :P ) lunch gathering at Yihong's place yesterday. And Edmond was the main chef. I should recommend his cooking. I like the Mapo Tofu the most, although at first it looked suspicously very spicy. Muy delicious, hehehe... I shook hand with Yihong's grandma, but failed to say Gong Xi Fa Cai, instead I said, "Happy New Year." She graciously replied with "Xie xie..." I'm still not confident with my pronunciation/ intonation for such a simple line. Jay caught me off guard again at the end of the day when he wished me "Xian ni kuai le" and so on and so on, hehehe... I just told him, "Whatever..." I got to meet people from France and Romania like Audrey, Laetitia (sorry if I spell it incorrectly), Sydney and Mihai. I got to monopolize Audrey, who spoke better Singlish and Mandarin than I. I thought that was awesome. That's why I'm still amaze about Singapore. An Asian country with mostly Chinese residents but speak English and in a way become another melting pot for other nations who lives here. In a way just like America. Or LA, to be precise, hehehe... But much safer and cleaner. That's what I've been telling some of my American friends who never been to Singapore anyway, that I'm not moving far. Just to another version of LA.
With the help of Dee, I took this picture with my new friends: (l-r) Herr Edmond, David Johnson, Jay, Audrey and Mihai. I had fun talking and dining with them.

Later on some of us went to see "Memoirs of a Geisha". I think the boys didn't like it as much. Albert said that it's an angmoh's movie. (Funny too that now I'm accustomed with that word, Angmoh. It's a Singaporean nick for white people. I think it literally means "Red Hair". Just like how Indonesian people calling caucasians, "Bule". Bule roughly means pale)... I thought the movie was quite good. It's not Gladiator but at least, I think, it's better than Troy (with the exception of Brad Pitt in mini skirt, hehehe). I noticed something that similar between Troy and Geisha, tho. They spoke with a mixed up accent. Troy had accents from American Midwest, British to Irish, while Geisha has a mixed of Chinese, American, and Japanese accent.

More photos and reading on this day can be found @ Dee's...

PS: (Dated today the 4th) After an enlightening dinner together with Dee and Ai Pei at the airport, after Delirious concert... I made some changes with this entry. So if some of you, Singaporeans kids, already got a good laugh with my original post, well, savor it, because now it's fixed so that nobody would get offended with my "angmoh's" remark. It's about how you call certain types of clothings and what not, hehehe... Ai Pei knows what I'm talking about.

3 Comments:

Blogger peishanyeo said...

Hey Anne!

Thanks for sharing ya blog with us. The CNY lunch looks really sumptuous and Edmond looks every part the professional chef heheh!

Pity I couldn't join ya guys, but looks like a great was had. And no worries about ya Mandarin, more practise and soon you'll be pretty nifty at it! =)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

hey Anne, I linked this post to my blog too ;-)

1:36 PM  
Blogger God's Grace said...

Kewl... Thanks for your comments gals! It's good that you're reading my 'diary'

note to self: restrain from pouring my hearts out... Hehehehe

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home