footprints in my life...

detailing one day in the life of Anne

My Photo
Name:

"In Christ alone, I place my trust and find my glory in the power of the cross. And every victory, let it be said of me. My source of strength, my source of hope is Christ alone." --- M. English

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sae Hae Pakmani Padeusyeyo!

Yeah with my attempt on broken Korean, I wrote the title for this post. So if any of you are Korean, hopefully you're not offended. I'm trying to say, Happy New Year, hehehe... *lame laugh* I thought I want to give it a twist instead of just saying Gong Xi Fa Cai...

I've told some of my Singaporean friends that Chinese Indonesians don't really celebrate Chinese New Year... with the exception of the much hungbao (Do I even spell it correctly? :P ) anticipation of course. So yeah, here we are 4 Chinese Indonesian chicks... One from Los Angeles and 2 from Jakarta and me (duh?!). But we all knew each other when we're all in States. It's just interesting how I have to explain about why we don't really celebrate Chinese New Year. Many of us don't even know how to speak Chinese to begin with. Perhaps now in Indonesia we can celebrate it, but at least around my time when I was there, there's no such thing. We only celebrated it quietly (if we celebrate it at all), no lion dance on the street or the likes. Just went out in some Chinese restaurant or whatever restaurant and eat, which was of course nothing out of the ordinary. So on the other hand I thought that it's kinda weird that in Singapore, churches were closed in observant of the Chinese New Year. I'm learning something new again in this place.

Yesterday, as I walked through the quiet Orchard road, if I saw any Chinese looking faces, they would most likely speak Indonesian... and of course we had the regular tourists like the Japanese and the Koreans. The Chinese Indonesians came in for the holiday, while the Singaporeans and the Chinese Malaysians are supposedly home or visiting somewhere. How funny... And of course the Indonesian churches were open per usual.

Talking about churches, I went to 3 services this week alone. And talking about anticipating Chinese New year in churches... on Wednesday I went to City Harvest Church and meet with some of my friends there and we got this goodie bag filled with oranges and hungbao envelopes. I thought the design on the envelope was quite nice, it includes a verse from Psalm 63:11 "You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." Very appropriate. Hehehe... And then on Friday, I was blessed by my Hope Church crew, tho I got a little lost on my way home... (Not again! Hehehe...) and then of course to complete my week of Church goings, on Sunday I went to me mom's church (I think it's called: Blessing In The Spirit Church) and guess what, I actually got hungbaos! Yay! Since most of them were parents, my friend Marleen and I were considered to be kids. Ah forever young! Marleen also received the blessing for coming with me, hehehe... 'Tis a good thing to be my friend, hehehe... So with all the stores closed, we got to get money instead of spending them :P

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You girls are hot!!!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home